Worlds 2019: The breeze pushes hard in Villasimius and Maidollis climbs on top of the standings
October 10, 2019 - Villasimius, Sardinia, Italy - The race course of Villasimius changes shape again and, after the no race of yesterday, today it welcomes the sailors with steady and increasing Southerly breeze that reached gusts of over 20 knots, very close to the maximum limit of the Melges 24 Class.
It was then another great racing day for the Melges 24 World Championship that, with the three races completed on Tuesday, only has two days left now to discover the new Melges 24 Champion of the Champions.
The rankings that formed after the races of today have been deeply affected by a request to the Jury, that caused a late abandon of Race 3 of the series, resulting in a total scoreline made of five races for all the crews.
The leader of the provisional standings is Maidollis ITA854, reigning European Champion, with Carlo Fracassoli and Enrico Fonda helming and calling tactics. With partial scores of 1-2-2, the Italian crew is the "boat of the day" and precedes in the ranking the Americans of Bruce Ayres' Monsoon (4-6-1), winner of the last race of today.
The Italian Bombarda ITA860 by Andrea Pozzi (14-1-3), that today caught the first bullet of the series, is the provisional bronze medalist, followed by Michael Goldfarb's Warcanoe (2-16-17) with nine lengths of advantage.
The Italian entry Taki 4 ITA778 (5-17-8) with Niccolo Bertola in helm closes the top five and opens the Corinthian ranking, where Tõnu Tõniste's Lenny EST790 (24-4-15) follows in second place also occupying the sixth place of the overall standings. The Norwegian entry Storm Capital Sail Racing NOR751 with Peder Jahre in helm completes the top-three of the Corinthian standings.
With forecasts that announce lighter breeze than today, the Race Committee will call the fleet back on the water tomorrow, Friday the 11th, at 10.00 am.
The provisional results of Top 10:
1. Maidollis, ITA854, Perego Gianluca - 1 -17 -1 -2 -2 ; 23
2. Monsoon, USA851, Bruce Ayres - 10 -5 -4 -6 -1 ; 26
3. Bombarda, ITA860, Andrea Pozzi - 5 -6 -14 -1 -3 ; 29
4. Warcanoe, USA841, Michael Goldfarb - 2 -1 -2 -16 -17 ; 38
5. Taki 4, ITA778, Niccolo Bertola (COR) - 16 -4 -5 -17 -8 ; 50
6. Lenny, EST790, Tõnu Tõniste (COR) - 6 -2 -24 -4 -15 ; 51
7. Nefeli, GER859, Peter Karrié - 17 -3 -8 -13 -16 ; 57
8. Storm Capital Sail Racing, NOR751, Peder Jahre (COR) - 4 -24 -12 -9 -9 ; 58
9. Strambapapà, ITA689, Michele Paoletti - 13 -12 -22 -11 -7 ; 65
10. Full Throttle, USA849, Brian Porter - 8 -10 -42 -5 -4 ; 69
Full results in Yachtscoring
The Melges 24 World Championship is organized by the Marina di Villasimius and Lega Navale Italiana - Sez. Villasimius in cooperation with the Italian Melges 24 Class and International Melges 24 Class Association. The World Championship is the final event both of the 2019 Melges 24 European Sailing Series and Italian Melges24 Tour 2019.