MELGES 24S BLAZING BACARDI
An exciting weekend of Melges 24 racing is coming right up at Bacardi Winter Series Event No 2. The fleet is kicking off the new year in high-speed style as it marks the first major racing appointment of 2019.
Seventeen teams have signed up anticipating two days of racing on Miami’s famous Biscayne Bay. It will be one to remember with guaranteed top-notch competition, big-breeze and warm weather in the forecast… and free-flowing Bacardi rum!
Melges 24s from all across the country and are in Miami including seven-time National Champ Brian Porter (Lake Geneva, Ill.) on Full Throttle, reigning National Champ Kevin Welch (Anacortes, Wash.) on MiKEY, 2017 Corinthian National Champion KC Shannon (Fayetteville, Ga.) sailing Shaka, and current series leader Bruce Ayres (Newport Beach, Calif.) on Monsoon.
The fleet is always thrilled to welcome international entries Andrea Pozzi at the helm of Bombarda (Milan, Italy), Carlo Vroon’s Gelikt (Brielle, Netherlands), Stuart Simpson (London, England) and his Team Barbarians, and Canada’s very own Richard Reid sailing Zingara.
Registration takes place on Friday from 4 until 7 at the Biscayne Bay Yacht Club (BBYC), followed by racing on Saturday, with awards on Sunday.
Stay close to the official Bacardi Invitational Regatta Facebook page for all the latest news throughout the weekend: https://www.facebook.com/BacardiCupInvitational/
1. (USA) John Brown, Blind Squirrel
2. (ITA) Andrea Pozzi, Bombarda
3. (USA) Laura Grondin, Dark Energy
4. (USA) Megan Ratliff/Hunter Ratliff, Decorum
5. (USA) Brian Porter, Full Throttle
6. (NED) Carlo Vroon, Gelikt
7. (USA) Tony Stanley, Hermes
8. (USA) Roger Counihan, Jaws
9. (USA) Travis Weisleder, Lucky Dog/Gill Race Team
10. (USA) Kevin Welch/Ian Sloan, MiKEY
11. (USA) Bruce Ayres, Monsoon
12. (USA) KC Shannon, Shaka
13. (USA) Philip Davis, Shiraz
14. (GBR) Stuart Simpson, Team Barbarians
15. (USA) Steve Boho, The 300
16. (USA) Don Holst, Wild
17. (CAN) Richard Reid, Zingara